Monday, October 17, 2011

Recipes of the Damned Volume III: The infamous Penny Supper.

From the Family of God Lutheran Church Cookbook, circa 1984

Penny Supper
6 wieners, thinly sliced
4 medium potatoes, cooked and diced
3 tablespoons onion, minced
¼ cup soft butter
1 cup cooked peas
1 teaspoon prepared mustard
1 can cream of mushroom soup
salt and pepper

Combine wiener slices with potatoes, onions, and butter in casserole.

No. I will not combine them.

Mix in rest of ingredients.

Absolutely not! I will not mix them!

Bake at 350º for 25-30 minutes.

NO! I WILL NOT BAKE IT! That releases the...the...smell!

Penny Supper. The. Infamous. Penny. Supper. In my family it has ascended to a legendary status. Penny Supper kind of, sort of hits me where I live...you see, I left something off of this recipe: the name of the person that submitted it for publication.

My mother.

And she will swear to you that it is delicious.

Memory is an imperfect thing, and it has been about twenty-seven years since I have scooped up a steaming forkful of this tantalizing meal, but I remember it smelled like feet and tasted like sadness. It just goes to show that one man's feast is another's famine, as my mother is an otherwise excellent cook, and a person of sound judgment.

Since she is one of my six followers, I think I will use this platform to ask her a question I have occasionally pondered over the years: Is this recipe called Penny Supper because all of the ingredients are inexpensive, or because thinly sliced pieces of hot dog resemble pennies?

[Dry heaves.]

Just, uh, wondering. Love ya, mom! I also love your cabbage rolls, Mexican pasta shells, carrot cake, and BLTs! Let's not allow this one little recipe to come between us.

Although...if it does come between us? I can't promise I won't use you as a human shield. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment